25 June 2006

And now, the vowels & consonants of motherhood

...So I walk in the kitchen, and what do I immediately discover? I'm walking in water. Not just a puddle here and there, but about 25 ft² of it. I ask my (4½-year-old) daughter what's up, and she says, "I mopped."

Isn't it funny how kids take some things really seriously? For example, when we're watching a movie in the bedroom (where the BIG TV is lol), like there'll be a stuffed Pooh on the bed. She'll come over and put him upright, saying with just a bit of exasperation, "You know, he has to sit up to see." Right on.

Then sometimes she'll go through her old books - the kid has so many, she goes through new ones like I do - and since ABCs are extremely old hat to her, now she has to analyze the illustrations. The other day it was "U is for umbrellas...That do NOT stand up by themselves... ::sigh:: X is for the X-ray machine that that rabbit really shouldn't be messing with..."

The other day we're watching - surprise, surprise - "Dora." Dora and Boots are on the bridge over a river, and Dora is lowering a line so she can retrieve, I dunno, a boot or something, from the water. So Christine gets this concerned look on her face and goes, "Wait, does she have her fishing license?"

And then there are the times when things that AREN'T toys are PLAYED WITH as toys. And Mommy gets upset. Like, the portable DVD player that I bought for the car. (Okay, it's a minivan, but I hate that word, it makes me sound so "barefoot and pregnant." It's a 2005 Dodge Caravan SXT. It's not a kid wagon. Ayeayeaye!) Do you know what happened to it? Heh, neither do I. But it doesn't spin now. I mean, it doesn't read DVDs anymore. It cost as much as, like, 10 hours of work, to get that thing.

Anyway, I just wanted to share. Kids are a riot.